My recipe for an enjoyable first time trip
So, what are the ingredients that make a first time trip a good one ? well there are a few things that can never really be predicted or planned but there are also a number of elements that can totally contribute to having a good time while discovering a new city / place. Here is my Top 5 ingredients :
– A good gear : I am an eternal light traveller yet there are a few things that I simply wouldn’t leave my home without. You don’t want to go somewhere without a bit of cash, your ID, and your camera (well we all have smartphones now so make sure you charged it up to the max or you will be so sad when THAT special moment happens and you couldn’t take a picture of it). Plan on food as well if you don’t want to sink all your precious coins in an unknown food spree or an out of nowhere thirst from Hell.
– A good ride :No matter what you are going to use as a mean of transportation ; Car, Boat, Donkey, Flip flops, Giant flying Turtle and so on… Travelling is ALWAYS more enjoyable when it is done in a comfortable manner. I don’t mean to always go for the top luxury vehicle you can afford but having a bit of comfort will definitely let your mind be completely open to your new environment.
– A good guide :Don’t get me wrong here, a good guide doesn’t especially mean somebody from that specific city ; however, it has to be somebody IN LOVE with the area. Some people feel drawn to places differently than others but the ones that do and earn a living from it certainly are in the best position to show it to you the best way possible. He or she will have to be a local, meaning that they would have lived there for many years and will know the place like the back of their hands, a true insider who will know and express with passion what deserves your attention and what doesn’t.
– A good company :Anywhere you will go, no matter how beautiful or horrid a place can get, discovering a city is never the same if you do it alone. Good company is absolutely essential for having a good time while seeing a place for the firs time. It doesn’t mean travelling alone is boring, it simply means you will have to make friends onsite ! That’s right, making friends, sharing memories with close ones, family moments, all of those contribute to a perfect discovery and literally means the difference between a regular boring travel book and a diary full of magical moments.
– A good attitude : It’s true, in the end YOU are the one who is the master of your happiness. YOU decide if you are having fun or if you are getting bored. Start with a good attitude and very soon you will find yourself mesmerized by new horizons, entertained by new friends and surprised by amazing new tastes.
Keep travelling and let me know what I missed out !
Written by : Julien McGable0